Thursday, January 22, 2009

January Newletter

Gareth Buxton - Artist's Newsletter
January 2009

What a cold start to the new year! I
visited Harpur Hill near Buxton last weekend. Over night there had been freezing fog and everything above a certain height had been covered with the most beautiful white frost. Took a few pictures on a mobile phone camera, so quite grainy, hope it captures the moment, if not the freezing cold temperature :-) For more pictures click on the one below or click this link




Discovering Colour

Most of my output in the past has used a distinctive pallette limited to a narrow range of colours, much of this is deliberate as the colours match those of moorland and surround areas. I have recently been experimenting with some bold colours as the pictures below illustrate. To be honest I was quite taken aback when I had finished them. They seemed so bright, for me at least! I'd be really interested to hear your views, is too much colour too soon, or do you like this more saturated trend?




Moorland Twilight #2: (8x8 inch) - Acrylic on Canvas



Moorland Twilight #1: (8x8 inch) - Acrylic on Canvas



Storm View : (30x30 inch) - Acrylic on Canvas


Forthcoming Exhibitions 2009
The calendar is already filling up with exhibitions for the coming year, here are the ones so far.

17th April - May 24th: "4 seasons in one day" - Masham Gallery, Yorkshire
23 - 25th May 2009: Derbyshire Open Arts - Little Gallery Belper
14 - 28th June: Solo Exhibition - Ingleby Gallery, Ingleby


New Work for 2009
I've been quite busy already this year, to see my latest paintings checkout this gallery
or here http://www.minigallery.co.uk/Gareth_Buxton/newart/

Regards
Gareth


w: http://garbleart.co.uk/
w: http://www.minigalleryworld.com/Gareth_Buxton/
e: gareth@garbleart.co.uk

1 comment:

rotasaur said...

Excellent blog Gareth - very interesting reading... I think the extra colour in your pictures adds something and takes away something else - it will appeal to a slightly different audience. Some people always say that colour photography is vastly inferior to black & white photography - and I'm sure that mind-set would see your more monochromatic images as better.
Also colour adds an extra layer of criteria which the brain criticises if it doesn't think it looks "right" - I've tried to add much more colour to landscapes than I know the scene has and found that sometimes my brain/eyes have rejected the "reality" of the image - it seems much more forgiving the less colour there is... probably shades of one colour (a colour filter effect) would not have such complications.