Saturday, July 28, 2007

Museum of Modern Art - Finalist!

I have reached the finals of Museum of Modern Art (Wales) Tabernacle Art Competition. This exhibition runs 4 Aug - 6 Sep 2007 and has public voted and panel prizes. The exhibition coincides with the The Machynlleth Festival which is a lively local event celebrating all forms of art.

The theme of this year competition was "A Country Churchyard" and rather than go for the obvious I decided for a more radical approach. I thought an aerial view of my family churchyard (its just where some of my relatives are buried we don't own the churchyard or have a crypt or anything :-) would be a novel perpsective. The gaudy struck-on sign, is modelled on a typical tourist street map. The sign, which points at a gravestone, is labelled "You are Here". The painting is entitled "Map of Human Destiny".



Gareth


No comments: