Thursday, March 08, 2007

Solo Exhibition - Success!


Welcome!

This week I had my first solo exhibition at Gallery-S near Matlock in Derbyshire. Despite the quite appalling rainy weather I had a good turn-out of friends and family. The day started at 11.30, final touches to be ready for the opening at 12.00. Coffee, wine and nibbles flowed freely until 5 pm! In all there are 34 paintings/sculptures in the exhibitions plus two commemorative prints that the gallery prepared. Su and Steve the gallery owners have been very supportive and helpful throughout. Steve produced a great look show guide and some marvellous plaques for the sculptures based on my text. I will post these up here another day. In addition they trusted me to "curate" the exhibition in that I selected the paintings, decided the layout and hung the exhibition. This gave me the opportunity to go for a maximum impact arrangement, note the mixing of the large black Chromocryptogram sculpture amongst the landscape paintings. Some people even though that the sculpture was an electrical switch panel that I was having to work around!

Publicity wise Su and Steve got good coverage in the local glossy magazines . I got it listed on-line in various places, got listing in the local papers and the Independent and Guardian weekend entertainment guides.

Despite the poor weather I am really pleased to see so many people attending. It was such a great feeling to see all my creative effort in space. The various landscapes were like a spectrum of various mind-states going from almost black canvases to very light and optimistic pieces. I am please to say that I sold two paintings and a print on the day. One 16x20 painting of a local misty lake and one larger more expressionist painting (20x30), the former selling to a couple from London.

Thanks to all that made my first show a success, especially Lou who helped all the way through and took some fab photos.

Anybody still interested in seeing the show, its on for 4 weeks.

Gareth


Main Wall


Friends Browsing


Moon and dark sescapes


Sculptural and abstract work



My brother provides classical guitar music whilst people browse (thanks Ian!)



Friends browsing

No comments: